Plex streams all of your music, movies, TV shows, photos, and home videos to your big screen through your Roku Ultra, for a beautifully simple streaming experience. It makes you enjoy your 4K media in all its beauty with Roku Ultra. With four times as many pixels as 1080p. You also can stream 1080p videos on HD TVs via Plex with up-scaling from 720p. By this way, you also can upscale old DVD library to 1080p videos to add Plex library for streaming with Roku Ultra. In this way, you don't need to insert DVD to heavy DVD Player every time you want to stream DVD movies on HD TV.
You can store DVD movies on hard drive, Seagate Personal Cloud NAS, USB hard drive then stream the DVD movies to Roku Ultra conveniently. Before that, you need to convert DVD to Roku Ultra supported format. Although Plex nearly can handle every format video or transcode every format when streaming, it will take up more bandwidth to lead media playback stuttering. So ripping DVD to Roku Ultra supported digital in advance will be better. Roku Ultra also supports various media formats, but there formats are recommeded most:
Video — H.264/AVC (.MKV, .MP4, .MOV), H.265/HEVC (.MKV, .MP4, .MOV); VP9 (.MKV)
Audio – AAC (.MKV, .MP4, .MOV); MP3(.MP3, .MKV); WMA (.ASF, .WMA, .MKV), FLAC (.FLAC, .MKV), PCM (.WAV, .MKV, .MP4, .MOV), AC3/EAC3 (.MKV,.MP4. .MOV, .AC3), DTS (.MKV, .MP4, .MOV), ALAC (.MKV, .MP4, .MOV, .M4A)
How to Convert DVD to MP4, MKV for Roku Ultra and Plex?
There are many DVD Rippers that can convert DVD to H.264, H.265 MP4, MKV, MOV for Roku Ultra and Plex like Handbrake and MakeMKV. But here we would recommend you Pavtube ByteCopy or the Mac version Pavtube ByteCopy for Mac. Why?
1. Rip protected DVD without third-party tool: Handbrake can rip unprotected DVDs itself. If you want to copy commercial DVDs, you need to install libdvdcss. MakeMKV can rip both DVD and Blu-ray without installing any other library. Pavtube ByteCopy can remove Blu-ray AACS, BD+, MKB v62 and DVD CSS, RCE, Sony ArccOS, UOPs, Disney x-project DRM, Region codes to rip, copy and convert Blu-ray and DVD to Roku Ultra.
2. Wide output video formats: Handbrake only can output MKV, MP4 video while MakeMKV convert DVD to MKV only. Pavtube ByteCopy can convert Blu-ray and DVD to MP4, MOV, MKV for Roku Ultra and also export AVI, WMV, QuickTime, 3GP, ProRes, 4K MP4, 4K MKV, H.265 MKV, H.265 MP4, 3D MP4, 3D MKV, 3D MOV, 3D WMV, etc.
3. Multi-track video: MakeMKV can convert Blu-ray and DVD to lossless MKV. Pavtube ByteCopy also can convert Blu-ray and DVD to lossless/uncompressed MKV with all audio and subtitle streaming. Pavtube ByteCopy also can convert Blu-ray and DVD to MP4, MOV, AVI with multiple audio and subtitle tracks.
4. NVIDIA CUDA Acceleration: Roku Ultra and Plex support HEVC video. But HEVC encoding is CPU-heavy. If your DVD Ripper doesn't support NVIDIA CUDA hardware acceleration technology, you will spend s lot of time on DVD to H.265 encoding. Pavtube ByteCopy has joined H.265 NVIDIA to 30X realtime 4K H.265 encoding to enable users encode both H.265 and H.264 video with ultra fast speed. Of course, you should make sure your computer is geared with CUDA-enabled GPU graphics cards.
5. Other Features: Pavtube ByteCopy also has many other features such as ripping DVD with forced subtitle, shrinking DVD, replacing DVD audio, adding subtitle to DVD, upscaling 720p DVD to 1080p, ripping 4K Blu-ray to 2160P MP4/MKV, etc. You can learn other features in ByteCopy review.
Rip DVD to MP4, MKV for Roku Ultra and Plex
Step 1. Run Pavtube ByteCopy software, put source DVD into DVD-ROM,, Click “Load Disc” button to import movie files from DVD. The software decrypts DVD copy-protections of all regions. The main title in a DVD is checked by default once loaded. This avoids you wasting time to choose main title from a number of movie titles.
Step 2: Click on the main title, navigate to Format Bar to open the drop-down list. You can choose HD H.264 MP4, HD H.265 MP4, HD MKV from "HD Video". You also can choose lossless MKV, multi-track MP4 from "Multi-track Video" for Roku Ultra and Plex.
Step 3: Click “Settings” button to adjust video size, codec and audio codec. If you want 1080p video, choose 1080x1920 in Video Size. Choose H.264 or H.265 to encode your video in Video Codec. Make sure audio codec is supported by Roku Ultra. If you choose to convert DVD to lossless MKV, the windows will be a “Multi-task Settings” dialogue box. By default the software keeps all subtitles and audio streams, and uses original chapters’ structure from the DVD media. You can switch to Audio tab and Subtitle tab to deselect unwanted audio tracks and subtitles streams. When finished, click “OK”.
Step 4: Click the “Convert” button to backing up DVD movie to MP4 or MKV for Roku Ultra and Plex. If you choose lossless MKV, Pavtube ByteCopy will package videos, chapter markers, audio tracks as well as subtitles streams into the MKV without changing anything, so that you can easily skip to play your wanted chapter, audio & subs track at will using your Plex and Roku Ultra.
Start Streaming DVD Rips with Plex on Roku Ultra
Step 1: Sign up for your free account and download the Plex Media Server software, the central brain that organizes all of your media.
Step 2: Add media to Plex. Plex recognizes just about any kind of video, music, or photo format and displays all of your content in an easy-to-navigate interface.
Step 3: Install Plex apps on your Roku Ultra so you can enjoy your beautifully organized media wherever you are.
What models are supported for the Plex for Roku channel?
The Plex channel for Roku players is supported on a large number of Roku models. While some older models are compatible and will run the channel, you may experience lower performance with those.
Compatible, But Slower
The following Roku models are compatible and will run the Plex channel well.
Roku 2 (model 4210)
Roku 3 (models 4200, 4230)
Roku 4 (model 4400)
Roku Premiere (model 4620)
Roku Premiere+ (model 4630)
Roku Stick (model 3600)
Roku Ultra (model 4640)
Roku 4K UHD TV
These Roku models are compatible and will allow you to install the Plex channel. They're less powerful than newer models, which means that you may experience lower performance (particularly with app navigation).
Roku 1 (model 2710)
Roku 2 (model 2720)
Roku 2 HD (model 3000)
Roku 2 XD (model 3050)
Roku 2 XS (model 3100)
Roku LT (models 2400, 2450)
Roku HD (model 2500)
Roku Express (model 3700)
Roku Express+ (model 3710)
Roku Stick, MHL (models 3400, 3420)
Roku Stick, HDMI (model 3500)
The following models do not support the necessary firmware version to run the Plex channel and thus the channel will not even be available. These models can make use of the (unsupported) Plex Classic channel.
Roku HD (models N1100, 2000)
Roku HD-XR (model N1101)
Roku SD (model N1050)
Roku XD (model 2050)
Roku XDS (model 2100)
- 4K Streaming vs 4K Blu-ray vs Blu-ray Which is best
- ByteCopy Joined H.265 NVIDIA to 30X Realtime 4K H.265 Encoding
- How to Rip 4K Blu-ray to H.265 MP4 Utilizing NVIDIA GPU Acceleration?
- How to Rip 4K Blu-ray to H.265 MKV Utilizing CUDA on Windows?
- Best 4K Blu-ray Ripper: Ultra HD Blu-ray ripping and playback
- Rip 4K Blu-ray to USB for 4K Ultra TV