If you are an iDevice owner that has both iPad and Apple TV, the built-in AirPlay feature expands what you can do with your iOS devices. AirPlay is Apple’s technology that allows you to stream music, photos, and video wirelessly from your iPad to an Apple TV or another AirPlay-enabled device such as speakers or A/V receivers. Just like DLNA to Android tablets, AirPlay offers a handy way to share your iPad screen, making it easy to demo slideshows and certain apps (iMovie, GarageBand) on your iPad to a group of people, or play some games using the iPad as a controller. And yes, movies are really shine on a 60-inches HDTV. This article shows you how to take advantage of the AirPlay Mirroring to stream iPad video to ATV, so as to play iPad 3 HD movies to HDTV.
What you need for AirPlay Mirroring iPad Video to HDTV
1. Your new iPad/iPad 2 (If you use iPad 2, make sure it is with iOS 5 and later)
2. Apple TV (2nd or 3rd generation) with software version 5.0 or later
3. Your HDTV
4. An 802.11a, -g or -n wireless network
[Step-by-step Guide] How to AirPlay iPad Video to Apple TV
1. Connect your iPad and Apple TV to the same Wi-Fi network.
2. On your new iPad/iPad 2, double-click the Home Button to display your recently used apps.
3. Swipe your finger from right to left until you see the AirPlay icon .
4. Tap on the AirPlay icon, select your Apple TV and turn Apple TV Mirroring to ‘ON’.
If everything is on the same Wi-Fi network, your iPad screen will appear on your Apple TV. In this way you can enable AirPlay Mirroring from your new iPad/iPad 2 and stream iPad movies to HDTV for watching. Please keep in mind that you need a 3rd gen Apple TV to display 1080p video on HDTV. The 2nd Gen Black Apple TV may stream 1080p Full HD contents but it shows 720p only when on HDTV. (Learn how to rip Blu-rays to iPad 1080p video).
Apple also sells Digital A/V adapter to provide the iPad-to-HDTV connection, but the wireless method is quick and easy, although the video doesn't look quite as crisp as the wired method. If you’d like to connect iPad to HDTV via HDMI cable, refer to Mirror new iPad/iPad 2 Screen on HDTV.
- 10 Must Have Flash Player Apps for the new iPad 3
- Ways to Enable iPad to Play Flash Videos without jailbreaking
- How to rip Blu-ray to iTunes for iPad, iPhone 4, iPod and Apple TV?
- Free iPad Wallpapers
- Convert MKV/ M2TS/ AVI/ WMV to iTunes for iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch 5
- Convert DVD to multi-track MP4 for iDevices on Mac OS X