PS4 supports to play MKV videos saying in the official site. But it doens't mean you can play any MKV files without any hassle on PS4 cause as a video container, MKV can includes multiple video and audio codecs. If the audio codec in MKV is not supported by PS4, you will meet MKV playback no audio issue when playing MKV on PS4 like below:
"Hi guys I can't get some of my .mkv videos to play with sound. The message I get is "cannot play audio the audio format is not supported". I am using Plex Server on my PC and streaming to the PS4. Does anyone have a working solution that allows all .mkv videos to stream to the PS4?"
First of all, you should check if the A/V codec in your MKV files are following the standard for PS4:
PS4 Supported MKV:
Visual: H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High Profile Level4.2
Audio: MP3, AAC LC, AC-3(Dolby Digital)
If the MKV file has DTS audio, it will not play in PS4 Media Player. To solve the problem, you will need to transcode DTS audio to AC3 for PS4 streaming. Method one is in the app you'll click your username in the top right corner, go to Settings and then enable Dolby Digital (AC3) under Audio. The other way is to transcode DTS audio to AC3 with some third party video converter.
Best Video Converter to Transcode MKV DTS to ACS audio for PS4
Pavtube Video Converter Ultimate is a top-ranked video converter + audio converter. It can re-encode and remux video quickly. If you aren't good at transcoding video or never convert video before, this software will be your best choices. With simple 3 clicks, you can finish MKV video load, audio format changing and MKV AC3 export for PS4 streaming.
Main Features of Pavtube Video Converter Ultimate
- Convert MKV DTS video to MKV AAC, MKV MP3, MKV AC3 video for PS4 and other devices that support MKV format but not DTS audio.
- Convert H.265/HEVC MKV, DivX/XviD MKV to H.264/MPEG-4 MKV for PS4 playback.
- Transcode MKV to PS4 supported other video format such as MP4, AVI, etc.
- Hard burn external SRT/ASS/SSA subtitle to MKV and other video files to make you play video on PS4 with subtitles.
Pavtube Video Converter Ultimate is a Windows-based software that supports Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 8, etc. If you are a Mac user, you should use the equivalent Pavtube iMedia Converter for Mac.
Solve MKV Playback No sound on PS4 Issue by transcoding DTS audio to AC3
Step 1. Import MKV files into the program
Here you can directly drag & drop the MKV files to the converter, or click “Add Video” button to load MKV files. Batch conversion is supported so that you can add multiple video files to convert at a time.
Step 2: Select the output format
Click on the dropdown menu of "Format" and then move your pointer to "PSP/PS3". From the sub-list, you can choose "PS3 Video(720P) MPEG-4(*.mp4)", "PS3 Video(1080P) MPEG-4(*.mp4)" as the target format for your PS4.
This preset has been equipped with the most compatible video and audio codec/format for PS4. You also can keep your MKV format by omitting the format selection step. You can click "Settings" in the main interface to change the audio codec to AAC or AC3.
Tip: Click on “Edit” button, the video editor will pop up. Tap “Subtitle” option and check the “Enable” icon. Then, by clicking on “Browse” to import your *.srt, *.ass, *.ssa subtitle file you’ve downloaded. After the subtitle is loaded, you can preview it.
Step 3: Start to convert MKV to PS4
Finally click on “Convert” button to start converting MKV DTS to MP4 or MKV ACS/AAC for PS4 streaming and playing. When the conversion finished, you can locate the files in output folder.
Steps for streaming:
1. Transfer the converted MKV file from your computer to the USB. You should format it to FAT-32 if you are using an external hard drive.
2. Insert the USB flash drive or hard drive into one USB port of PS4 console.
3. Turn the PS4 on after making sure there is a disk in the system, and then go to the main menu.
4. Select "Video" and then find your USB device.
5. Select "Display All" to see all the video files existing on your Sony PS4.
6. Select the file you wish to transfer and press the triangle button.
7. Choose "Copy" and confirm the transferring, then the movies are transferred and copied to your PS4 hard drive.
- Xilisoft Video Converter Ultimate Alternative for Mac/Windows
- Can PS4 Pro play HEVC/x265 video files from a USB?
- RZ Video Converter: Convert Videos on Mac/PC
- Wondershare Video Converter Customer Reviews and Alternatives
- How to Play Video, Music and Photo on Roku?
- Format factory V184.108.40.206 not converting DVD video to mp4