"I am using Avid Media Composer 5.03 and have a Sony Handycam HDR-PJ710V video camera that can create AVCHD 60P files. I have tried importing the 60p MTS files directly to MC but get a message ‘This type of mpeg file is not supported’. I tried converting the 60P AVCHD files to Xvid AVI(avi), MPEG-2 (mpg), AVI HD Video, WMV HD (wmv), H.264 HD Video (mp4) with no success in the import. Is there an import file update or patch available that will allow me to bring these 60p AVCHD recordings into Media Composer?"
To solve the above mentioned question, there are two things you need to know:
1. There is no AVCHD-AMA plugin for that Avid MC 5.
2. Avid doesn’t work with 1080p60. 60fps at 1080 is a non-standard format, and Avid only works with standard film and broadcast formats. FCP doesn’t do 1080p60 either. Very few nonlinear editing programs do this indeed.
You are suggested using Pavtube MTS/M2TS Converter for Mac to transcode AVCHD videos captured by Sony Handycam HDR-PJ710V/PJ580V/PJ760V to DNxHD for Avid Media Composer, because the DNxHD is the language Avid understands and handles best.
Convert Sony Handycam HDR-PJ710V, PJ580V, and PJ760V AVCHD footage to DNxHD for Avid Media Composer
1. Run Pavtune MTS Converter for Mac as the best Mac MTS to Avid Media Composer Converter. Click “Add video” or “Add from folder” button to load source MTS files shot by your Sony Handycam.
2. Click Format menu to select “Avid DNxHD (*.mov)” as output format from the “Avid Media Composer” profile option.
3. Click the big button “Convert” to start Sony AVCHD to DNxHD Conversion.
4. Once finished, click “Open” button to get the generated DNxHD MOV files for using in Avid MC.
Import exported DNxHD MOV files to Avid Media Composer for further editing
1. Open up Avid MC and create a project. When you create a project, it is crucial that you set-up the project correctly or you could have serious problems later and lose a great deal of your work.
2. Once you’ve created your project, you will only need to open it to begin editing. In your project and open, select the bin you wish the video clip to appear in. From the File menu, click Import…
Avid Media Composer will transcode the files into your project format, and the transcoding can take some time. (Learn to get Avid Media Composer working with AVCHD MTS footage on a Windows PC)
- Sony VG900/VG30 MTS and Avid workflow - edit NEX 50p/60p AVCHD with Avid MC
- Transcode Humax 1080p recordings to iMovie, Avid, Premiere Pro and Burn TS/MTS to DVD on Mac
- Import media to Avid - Managing your videos, projects, and media onto Avid Media Composer on Mac
- Convert and import Sony Handycam HDR-PJ710V/PJ580V/PJ760V footage to Avid Media Composer
- Panasonic DMC-LX7 Review - Make Panasonic LX7 compatible with Avid Media Composer
- Transcode Panasonic AVCHD MTS to Avid Media Composer DNxHD MOV